Friday, November 20, 2009

Child Work


Harvey and Norah have recently both taken a leap of independence. Harvey now puts on his own coat ("flip it, Harv!"), Norah has begun cleaning, and both of them have learned to clear the table after dinner (ok, so I bribe them with Halloween candy, but still...). All of this has significantly lightened my load--we get out of the house that much smoother when there is one less jacket to put on and it is amazing how much better I feel when I come downstairs after bedtime to a cleared and cleaned table.

In general, I have been inviting the kids into my daily work more than ever. Instead of trying to find things to entertain them while I am cleaning, I got them a broom. Cleaning up the playroom can be about tidying up their "home." A rearranging of some ideas in my head had to take place, though, for this to happen. When my kids are involved cooking dinner is not about quickly getting it on the table; rather it becomes an activity that we start together an hour or so before we eat.

Some great reading on involving your kids in household tasks::
Heaven on Earth
Work and Play in Early Childhood

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a goal of mine but so hard to do in reality. I think a lot of it is my lack of ability to give up control. I need to try more though, thanks for the inspiration.

Mary Smith said...

How fantastic that you are doing that! I think it gives kids a real sense of responsibility and competence. And like you say, it lightens your load! It shows that we trust them around the house.